F.A.Q. / How To list
This is very short list of Frequently Asked Questions / How To about torrentbar and it's services.
To manage your search and favorite lists (feed) you will need to create an account using your email wich will have to be confirmed in order for you to be able to log in.
In order to create account you will need valid email address. Go to this page and type it in, hit submit button, and within minutes you will receive email from torrent-bar.org which will include hyperlink. Please click on that url and your default browser will open with information that your account is confirmed and displaying your randomly generated password which you will have to remember or save somewhere.
NOTICE: There is slight posibility that email from us will be tagged as spam and can be moved or even deleted by spam filters. Please take careful look at your spam folders and quarantine.
You can recover forgotten password using form on this page. Your password will be then emailed to you.
NOTICE: Only active accounts will have their passwords sent, banned or
unconfirmedaccounts are exluded from this.
Creating new feed (customizing search lists)
Go to Configure page by clicking on link on torrent-bar.org while you are logged in (top right) and then "New feed"; or clicking "Configure list" in Search menu (last position).
You will be presented with 3-step form, first step allows you to select (use checkbox) from all active websites those you wish to have in your customized toolbar;
second step will present you list of those chosen websites and ability to order them to your liking and select one default (this one will be used whenever you hit 'enter' on keyboard after typing in torrentbar's search field instead of choosing website from search menu;
third step is just confirmation, and after saving your feed, you will be redirected to account's main page.
How to merge your newly created feed go to 2.3. section of this FAQ.
Email confirmation request (by user)
You can resend email confirmation using form on this page. A special URL will be send to your email which you have to click, in order to validate your email and change account to confirmed.
Passwords are randomly generated, thus this increases security greatly and all sensitive data is kept hashed in database.
No logs are created and/or stored while using torrentbar.
You will need to have installed Firefox browser which has been officially released (no Beta or RC) and its version is even or higher than 2.
- Although using toolbar on beta version is possible, feed creation will not work properly on those, so you won't be able to fetch customized list for your toolbar.
- Creating/managing account with other browsers is possible but it will likely cause problems, please avoid it!
Toolbar in default mode will refresh data from server every few hours, all refreshed content is pre-generated by automated software.
At this point feeds are generated in one language (EN/US), but it is possible and default feeds in major languages will be generated in future.
Customized usage (merging feed with your toolbar)
In order to customize your toolbar search list, you will need to create feed (» see 1.3. Section of this FAQ).
- Log in to your account and go to Configure panel (Configure link on top of the page).
- Select and copy loong string of letters and digits from the text field in left column.
- NOTICE: Make sure you have selected and copied entire string, otherwise it won't work!
- Turn on/click to show your toolbar in Firefox browser.
- Click on torrentbar's logo and go to "Settings".
- In settings window paste previously copied loong string into "login" text field and click "OK".
- NOTICE: It may take up to few hours to refresh search list of your toolbar, you can speed up that process by restarting all your Firefox windows, after that your search list should be updated with websites you have had chosen while creating/editing feed.
- Don't save your email (that you registered your account at torrent-bar.org with) in your settings » login. You won't be able to customize your toolbar at this point, leave it blank until you generate feed » see Section 1.3. and then 2.3. of this FAQ.
- Only one account per email.
- Search list feed can only contain websites that are approved and tested (it requires specific usability to be viable for toolbar).
- Only one feed per account*.
- Only one feed active on toolbar.
Feeds won't be available for users that have Ip address starting with 91.XXX.XXX.XXX (sorry)As of 08/07/2011 this ban has been lifted.
- One feed can be used by mutltiple browsers at the same time (so it means you can share your feed with friends).
- Feed will be fetched correctly on browsers with the same locale (default language) as it was created. It means if you have created feed using your firefox that had english (us) language on, it will work on other browsers with same default language.
- There is a issue when fetching feed (default or custom) from Firefox on linux. Until fixed those users will get Server Error (I'm sorry) - you can be sure this is the case when for more than hour after setting up and saving your first feed it has Inactive status in Configure panel.
- Feed Status:
- Inactive - feed won't be generated (for many reasons: your locale hasn't been fetched yet, you're using Firefox on Linux, you have registered account and set up feed with other browser than Firefox).
- Trial - feed is generated until its trial ends (until otherwise trial does not have time limit, it may be limnited at times of huge server stress).
- Paid - feed will be generated with priority to other types.
- Feed Status:
This faq has been last updated: 12.07.2011y.